Thursday, March 11, 2010

Laughter (and Happy Mail) is the Best Medicine

Hi everyone!

So did you remember to come to this new URL? I sure hope you made it here safely! lol

I just wanted to tell you about a couple of fun things:

The first is the fabulous Vanessa from A Fanciful Twist is nominated for Top 20 Art Blogs and you can help out by voting for her fabulous blog. Just click on this link, her blog is listen in the right hand side bar. Thanks guys!

And P.S.-Vanessa is getting ready to announce the date for her amazing Mad Tea Party blog party. WOO HOO!

Second is that Gauche Alchemy has started another giveaway, this time it's some of their fabulous papers you can use to feed your craftiness. :D Just CLICK THIS LINK and make sure and tell them Maggi sent you! :D

Third is Melissa, owner of the Etsy shop Haut Totes. She makes amazing bags but at the moment her shop is closed while she takes time to travel with her 10 year old daughter, Satori who is getting spinal surgery in 2 weeks.

She got an idea, as a way to keep Satori cheery and occupied while in the hospital, that people could send her postcards and Satori could read the messages and mark off on an atlas where all the cards come from and you can send a card to Satori too! Here's the message Melissa posted on Etsy earlier today (posted here with her permission):

"Hello!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Melissa Lewis & I am Haut Totes.

My 10 year old daughter Satori has Spinal Muscular Atrophy (type II) She uses a power wheelchair, can't walk, crawl, etc. But she is a rock star!! She has a super sense of humor, gets straight A's (in academically advanced classes) is a great big sister and daughter and a fantastic person all around.

Because she is so physically weak her body doesn't hold its self up well and she has developed severe scoliosis. Because of the curve of her spine it is now starting to crush her lung, so on March 31 she will have full spinal fusion. They will open her back insert 2 titanium rods, one on either side of her spine, wire the whole thing up and place donor bone in between all the vertebrae. Eventually it will all grow together "fusing" her spine into one long bone.

We are traveling to California to have this done, with an estimated stay in the hospital of 7-10 days. I am hoping to get people to send her postcards from all over. I think that the messages (and pictures) will be fun for her. I also plan to take an atlas and have her mark off states and countries (sneaking in a little geography).

We have great insurance, a FANTASTIC surgeon and a world renowned hospital!!

**She is not in need of anything more than some exciting messages and postmarks :) **

I thought who better than my Etsy and Twitter friends to make that happen!

I am posting this now for those of you who live outside of the US. If you live within the states you should probably hold off sending your post cards for 2 weeks.

This is how the post card should be addressed

Satori Lewis
Surgery date 3-31-10
Davis 7 Pediatrics
UC Davis Children's Hospital
2315 Stockton Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95817 USA

Thanks so much everyone!!!
Melissa "

If you are so inclined, send Satori a postcard - this would be great for you crafty types and non-crafties alike! They will so bring a smile to her face while in the hospital and she'll have fun discovering all of their sender's locations on the map.

EDIT: Melissa has started a blog about Satori's postcards! Check it out here: Postcards For Satori

And now for a little something that I personally think is hilarious and awesome. It comes to us from the Jimmy Kimmel show. A bit they call Handsome Men's Club and it is too funny. Please to enjoy:


Have a great day everyone, I'll see you tomorrow for an all new Friday Night Fab Five! :D

15 comments:

  1. Satori can expect a card from England Maggi :)

    Loved that clip - so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us reading yr post will be doing whatever we can to help, dear Maggi! TFS

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Handsome Men's Club bit, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for her info....will be sending her a postcard! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggi,

    I will certainly vote for Vanessa, love her work and I will send sweet Satori a card pronto!

    My speakers are on the blitz so I can't hear the video...boo!

    Hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggi,
    I am MOST excited about Vanessa's Tea Party! This will be my first year participating, and my head is already overflowing with ideas. :) I promptly went and voted for Vanessa, although it took me a few minutes to find the actual poll along the sidebar (not enough coffee yet this morning, it seems!). I will send dear Satori a post card - maybe I'll try and create one special. That might be very neat. Thanks for posting that information from Melissa - she makes the most wonderful totes.
    Oh that video clip was TOO awesome! My favorite "handsomes" were there - John Krasinki, Taye Diggs and Ben Affleck! I would never have guessed in a million years that Rob Lowe could be so funny. Thanks for posting this - I need to send it to my hubby. He LOVES the special female guest at the end!!! :)
    Cheers! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will most definitely send a postcard to Satori and I loved the Handsome Men's Club. Taye Diggs, Patrick Dempsey, and Matthew McConaughey ***sigh***

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sacramento, omg, that's near my old neck of the woods - I'll try to do that! A Mad Hatter Tea Party? omg! Don't get me all excied girl! that video was hilarios, and my boyfriend, Tony Romo, was looking pretty good, big ears and all. lol! I love Jimmy! Have a sparkly day my friend! xOxO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need spellcheck on my comments- hilarious, that's what I meant to say!!!!!!!! dang naile.
    xOxO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed a laugh today. Thanks for introducing me to the Handsome Men's Club.

    Stopping by from SITS today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I voted...and I also say Please to enjoy...cracks me up.
    Lol
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just discovered your blog! Super cute! Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Handsome Men's Club - sounds like a lot of fun. :-)))) Another post full of smiles and sunshine! Wishing you wonderful weekend.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from SITS! I will definitely send a postcard from Ohio! What an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to remember to send a postcard! Thanks so much for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails