Sunday, March 21, 2010

Scrapbook Heaven, Restoration Hell

Hi everyone!

First of all, I want to thank all of you that submitted names for my layout title contest! I really appreciate your creativity and it was hard to choose just one title. But the one I chose was "Sugar and Spice" submitted by Tam from Art in Flight. Thanks Tam!!! Please e-mail me your address (justaddglitter at gmail dot com) and I'll get your prize out ASAP. :) Thanks again everyone!

Now, I wanted to share with you a major vintage find (at least for me, lol). On a past trip to one of my favorite vintage haunts, Kitsch-y Cool Vintage I noticed a scrapbook that was marked as being from the 1930s. Being that it was very delicate, I didn't look all that closely at it and left it where I found it.

Sometimes when I find something cool but it's out of my budget or I need to wait to get it for whatever reason, I go by my "Second Time Mine" rule. If it's there the next time I go, I assume that means God wants me to have it. lol So luck was with me when I went back to Kitsch-y Cool the other day as there is was on a shelf: my 1930s scrapbook.

I brought it home, sat down to really look at it and low and behold: it's filled to the brim with clippings of Hollywood celebrities from the 30s/40s. Amazing! There are so many pages with so many pictures, I decided to make a video flipping through it rather than take a picture of every page. :D Even with me talking and flipping as fast as I could, the video is still 4 minutes long (yikes) so please feel free to fast forward, mute my blah blah blah or what have you. lol

As you'll hear in the video, I need your help! I would love to preserve this somehow and I'm thinking my best bet it to "transplant" the images to a new chemical-free scrapbook. Once you see it, please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions! :D

I hope you enjoy seeing this treasure!



P.S.-I'm double posting this on my vintage blog, Circle 7-2099 so don't feel like you need to comment there if you're already commenting here. :D

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful video, dear Maggi & I'm still racking the little old grey cells for inspiration! Will return just as soon as inspiration strikes...!

    Hoping you're all having a lovely weekend,

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a super cool find maggi :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW GIRL! What a find! I agree with what you are thinking....keep the front pages and somehow convert it into a more secure book. Let me chew on it and I will get back to you, ;o)

    Congrats!!! I love Sugar and Spice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! What an awesome find!!! I loved your video and I'm sooo into vintage stuff. Totally addicted to classic movies too!!! I love the old film stars! My fave from the actual 30's is Jean Harlow. Thanks for sharing!

    P.S. Your blog rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, I loooove it!

    I think there's got to be a way to preserve it, and I know someone else will be able to help you more than I can LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW Maggi, cool video!
    I can't believe something like that was still there on the shelf when you went back. You're right, it was meant to be yours. What a treasure is right- and I'm sorry, I have no idea at all on how to preserve what is in there without ruining the pics. What an amazing find. Good luck,I'm sure someone will have the answer for you....xOxO

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmmmmmmmmm.....I am gonna have to rack my brain on this one..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm....let me see if I can work this one out....i loveeeeeeeeeee the book....just pure magic...and congrats to your winner...love the title! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't spot any Bette Davis in there. Was she there?

    This book was very lucky that you were the one to spot it, I think your idea is the best one. Most of the pictures look like they are coming away easily, luckily the creator looks like they just dabbed the corners to attach the pics. I would maybe do the transplant idea like you said. Test patch an area of the old pages with something like Modge Podge or Glossy Accents and seal them that way. Saving the front and back cover is a lovely idea.

    Good luck Maggi - Make sure and keep us up to date with progress reports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't wait to see what you do with it - it's a fab book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find Maggi....I'm not really sure on the preserving thing either - but I thought there was some sort of spray that you could buy that would preserve the pictures on the original papers. (it neutralizes the acid). Totally not sure of this....but just something that came to mind as I watched your video. It would sure be nice to keep as much of it as original as possible.

    It was fun to hear your "real" voice on the video too!!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that was an awesome find...I have no idea what you could do on the preserving part....I know that there is a spray that you can use to save items.....

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to your lucky winner! :) The scrapbook is really lovely - looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :)
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, wonderful blog, I'm now following your blog too. I found you via twitter. You can visit me here:
    http://charlenesdailyinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I agree, transplant it so to speak to acid free and use the front back covers too. I cannot think of anything else you could do to save it.

    I just love hearing your voice, I love your accent.

    hugs DJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. My, my...what a fabulous find Maggi! I go by the same rule if I'm iffy on something...go back, sit on it and then if it's meant to be mine, it'll still be there! :)

    My sister used to work for the national archives so I hope I can help out...

    To prevent the scrapbook from further deterioration, you need to first spray the pages with an acid-free spray(EK Success). And limit handling directly with your hands...wear gloves..

    Since the pages are already falling out, I suggest that you scan the pages (so you might still use some of them for some mixed media pieces), then place each original page in pvc-free plastic. Create a new sturdier book frame and still use the original front and back covers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO that's what you sound like!
    My thoughts on the cover would be to add some strength to the edges by doing a paper log cabin (quilt term)in different pp's and than glue to cardboard for more added strength...if you decide on binding instead of punching holes you wouldn't really need the cardboard(i'd use some card stock for a finished look or even fabric).
    You might even add some strips of that sheet music you have with the pp. If you decide on the log cabin strips I can help you. For the inside pages, I'd try to get cardstock as close to the color it is now(ohhhh,you will have some mighty fine old artsy paper to play with). scanning sounds good so you'd be able to use them in your art work. I think the modpodge Idea sounds could after the scanning.I think it would be in keeping with what they might have used at that time.
    Happy happies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. maggi, as i've been having some drama over my email it thought i'd just leave you a comment letting you know i'm sending you the next journal today so BOLO :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggi...I loved the video,what a wonderful treasure! I agree a transplant would be your best bet :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OKAY! I see! So nice...I'm getting better at regular reading the blogs I love. Thanks Maggi! Sorry I missed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails