Thursday, May 27, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Books

Hey y'all!

I really wanted to play along with the newest prompt over at These Are a Few of My Favorite Things which is to create something about your favorite book. Then I forgot about it, then I remembered it, then I decided to make an mini altered board book about the prompt, then I realized that I was running out of time so I've been running around gluing everything in sight to get it finished in time. :) Why is it I always pick the biggest projects and think I can finish in two days? Well, I did so there. LOL

Here's where I started, a little board book I swiped from Toot. (Oh don't give me that look, she didn't like it and it's about creepy animal babies with no faces so I figured it would be okay to glue things on it. :P)

("Un-bear-ably" creepy. *shudder*)

I couldn't choose just one book so I thought I'd make an altered album about my collection of Golden Era Hollywood biographies. I started out Googling every picture I could find of Golden Era celebrities reading books. Here's the cover with Ms. Hepburn:

I inked an old book page for the background, cut out the image of Audrey Hepburn, colored in the stripes on the awning and couch with a red pen and accented with Stickles. I added the title and then the tagline from Reading Rainbow, "But you don't have to take my word for it..." In your face, 1980s! :D The first page is Marilyn Monroe:

This layout includes a picture of Debbie Reynolds:

I used Distress Crackle Paint on a chipboard umbrella and hopefully the blue gems look like raindrops. They're suppose to be raindrops anyway. :D

This picture is of Rita Hayworth (a blond Rita I might add):

I decided to use some punchinella for the background and included a list of some of my favorite bios so far. Note the scribble scrabble handwriting. Ugh. LOL :D

And then the back of my little book with the lovely Ms. Monroe:

Super simple on this one: just the picture, some Paris Hilton bling and my Dymo label maker. Bada bling bada boom! :D

Thanks for taking a look through my Golden Era mini album. And let this be a lesson for you: It always pays to steal from your children. Muwahahahaha...

25 comments:

  1. SO cool! Ever since you educated me about ATC's I am incredibly popular at parties!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!!!!!!!! You better win the challenge!!!! Julie - did you hear that????? This is just to stinkin' AWESOME!!!!!!!! Maggi - you really outbooked yourself on this one!!! Looks so much better then that creepy no face animal book!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hear U JACQUE!!!!! *wink* :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) AND OMYGOSH MAGGI!!! U have OUTDONE yourself!! This is AMAZING!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!! I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it!!! All the vintage images, the BLING...the journaling!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO flippin' AWESOME!!! Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much for playing along with us! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhhh and PS...I promise never ever to tell Toot that her book was made into AMAZING-NESS from her Mama's amazing HANDS!!!! *just our little secret* :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay girl, I was admiring the book, and loving it, then I saw the last page and almost died! You ARE putting this up on the PH FB page right!!! lmao Geesh, how much bling do you still have!!!!!!!!!! That is incredible!!!! You amaze me....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this. It's totally fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous Maggi! I love the page with the umbrella and raindrops...ahhh..so pretty!

    I'm always upcycle children's books...some of the pictures in the old books are quite creepy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great selection. My favourite is the last one cause I love Marilyn.
    Have a great weekend ahead daaaaahling!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful selection, Maggi!

    Have a lovely weekend too!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOWsers, this is absolutely gorgeous!!!! LOVE this mini, adore the picture of Marilyn Monroe (what does she do with her legs...???).
    Thanks for this incredible funny post!!

    And thanks very very much for playing with us at Fav Things!!

    XXXJenneke

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGoodness girlfriend...you better win with this one!!! It is awesome...look at you go!!!!

    Wishing you a great Memorial Weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO beautiful, Maggi! Thanks for sharing all this goodness. :) I love the images of the classic actresses you used and all the glitz and glitter. Perfect! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. totally awesome book - my fave is the audrey page :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an awesome book, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Maggi. I really hate you when you say you throw things like this together. I really do. I love you really but sheesh you make it hard on a gal! This is stunning, just gorgeous. But do me a favour - you gotta include some Bette Davis in your homages you know. She was the Queen of the Silver Screen y'know :P (According to me anyways)

    Beautiful, beautiful book - am eying up Rubys toy bucket as I type this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with the others Maggi, you are so creative and such a talented artist in many different mediums. Those altered books can be so tricky but what a super job you did ....love your humor....your the best.
    I vote you CRAFTER OF THE YEAR ,
    thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow..this is awesome!Loving this mini and those pictures from those fabulous celebs!!
    Love it!
    Thank you so much for joining us at Fave Things!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the mini... great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That book is just WAY too CUTE! Thanks so much for joining us! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails