Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wool + Mixed Media = Best Friends Forever!

Hey y'all!

Well, I FINALLY completed one of the projects that's been driving me nuts for weeks now. Ever have one of those projects where you see it in your head and it's awesome but then you try to make it and it's like you speak English but your fingers only speak French and all you know how to say in French is, "Where is the bathroom?" and your project gets lost in Sucktown for jerks so you step back for a week and then one day it just clicks and you're finally able to finish what you started and it looks halfway decent?

...

Nah, me neither. :P

All that sort of rubbish to say that I was lucky enough to be a participant in Brenda's Wednesday Wool Challenge and I'm proud to say I have something to show for it! lol



If you don't know this amazingly talented lady, Brenda creates all sorts of things and put a call out on her blog...a challenge if you will. She sent the participants some of her wool and our mission was to create something with it. You need to check out her blog to see what people have made so far, it's really awesome!

And here's what yours truly did:

I got this little cage from a thrift store for $1.00 and it's been sitting in my "To Glue On" box ever since. lol Once I got the wool, I knew that it was perfect for this cage so then began the journey to find something to trap in it. lol I used some old jewelry, buttons and pleated ribbons for the outside.

And here's what our wily little cage captured:

I used a head figure and covered it in old book pages, beads, feathers and gold braiding for the dress and then more of Brenda's wool for the bouffant hair that I love. lol A little birdie for her hair and then it was onto the table which is a couple of spools glued together and painted with Broken China Distress Crackle paint. I added the clock, apple and then a wooden bottle, painted with Vintage Photo Distress Crackle paint.

And there you have it...A cage fit for a Queen! lol I want to thank Brenda for so generously sharing her wool for us to play with! I've actually got a little more that I want to use on something else so stay tuned. lol

Do you have a project that you know would be awesome if only you could get it out of you head and into your glue gun? What do you do to break the dreaded Creative Block???

19 comments:

  1. I b*&ch slap my creative block and tell is to either get to work or get out. Usuaully works for the most part...but when it doesn't...I usually surf around the web for inpiration.
    Love this so much, it's sooooo freakin' creative. You're awesomely artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is GORGEOUS, Maggi! I love it so much - you did a tremendous job. :) When I have a creative block, I just try to move onto a different project entirely in a different medium. Then, hopefully, my creative mojo returns for the unfinished project. Enjoy your Sunday! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know why the caged Queen sings! LOL Because she loves her little chateau du Maggi! Her hair is AWESOME and you *are* so very ingenious, and you have the cutest Toot ever, and if your hands and head do speaky the same language every now and again, well, that's ok, because then YOU get to be surprised at the outcome too! :)

    I am not as inspiringly creative as my bloggy pals, but i do write and redecorate my house obsessively and i would say the writing block usually calls for a walk outside in the dark while i talk to myself, and the redecorating requires seeking inspiration in books and online --and then just staring at the room in question for hours, until it comes to me in a bolt of AHA! lightning :-)

    Happy WEEK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMYGOSH!!! This is AMAZING Maggi!! WOW WOW WOW!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing job you did, I love it :D!!
    I have been having a lot of creative blocks lately. Just dont feel much inspiration. If you do figure out the secret to overcoming it, let me know LOL
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggi! You're amazing! I love everything bout it! That pink hair rocks and the cage...so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggi she truly is gorgeous and I can't believe the price you paid for the cage! Bargain or what??

    With me I whinge and moan at my poor OH, he takes me out to lunch to shut me up, gets me tiddly, I snooze for the rest of the day (such a lightweight) and then the next day I'm usually raring to go again *g* I somehow always manage to lose my inspiration when it's carvery sunday at our local. *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous piece! Love the pink hair and book dress.

    I think I've got enough projects waiting that the creative block doesn't happen so much, it's just depends on which one is making the most noise (pick me! pick me!) as to which one gets done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally cute project Maggi! :)

    I organize my stash...it helps me clear the fog in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg - loooove this :D

    i go out and take new pics, live life, mojo always returns :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggi..my mouth dropped as I scrolled down and looked at the photos....this isnt just good..its Yummy!!Bravo!!Warmest Regards,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would of never thought of something this clever! It looks fastastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Maggi! this is great! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you pack that up for me yet? I'm still dying over that project- definitely a fave of yours. Wow.
    Pink haired girl just HAS to be mine!!!!!!!!! :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, wow, and more wow Maggie!!! I love it!! I knew you would blow me away with your creation and you did! I love her wooly doo, her dress, the birdcage house is so creative, fab piece!!

    I can't wait to share it with everyone on my blog!!

    Thank you so much for all of your kind words about me, your so sweet!!

    and
    a big THANK YOU for playing and creating in the Wool Wednesday Challenge, thanks to you and all of the other participants this has been a super fun challenge!!

    Thanks again and Happy Day to YOU!!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that cage for a princess!!! I want a dress like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, how fun and cool is that?!! Very very cool, great job! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggi you amaze me again....this is fabulous!!! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a gorgeous project..your big hair lady rocks! And the little cage is lovely..good that you saved it for the perfect piece...

    What inspires me? Looking at the world through my camera...gives me fresh eyes and new perspective.

    Have a happy week,
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails