Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No More Blogging Guilt...EVER!

I'd like to preface this post by saying that it's going to be all over the place and I'm writing off the top of my head so you've been warned and God help us all. :D

You know, I've been really banging my head against the dreaded blogging block with no end in sight. Although I don't get paid to keep up this blog, I do feel a certain responsibility to those of you that are kind enough to visit with me. Is there anything worse than finding a cool blog and then have it go dormant? I hate when that happens! lol

Some people blog to show off their creative genius, some blog to share recipes, post pictures of their dogs, cats, kids, etc etc or rant at the world and some people blog just to feel like they're not alone. The internet is an infinite blank canvas that you just can't help adding your footprint to it and hope someone notices it before the Ocean of Everything Else drags it away.

There's nothing better than the knowledge that you have a couple of regular readers that actually look forward to visiting your humble blog. It's good in a way, it makes you excited to share things and look for more interesting things to write about, hoping you'll keep them entertained and happy to visit.

So what happens when all that goes down the toilet? I've read countless posts on other blogs, full of apologies and reasons why they haven't been able to write new posts or go visitin' to other blogs. I've been one of them, especially lately. I tend to be one of those people that excessively apologize for every little thing anyway so add some major non-blog-love guilt to that and you have one OCBD Maggi going on there. lol (P.S.-OCBD=Obsessive Compulsive Blogging Disorder)

I love this blog and I love when you visit me. I love hearing about what's going on in your life, good or bad. I've clapped for your triumphs and cried for your tragedies. I treasure each and every comment because if you're anything like me, you're also trying to keep up with about 3 million other blogs so I know if you take time to leave a comment with me, it means something.

I could easily blame my lack of spectacular content on the pregnancy, being busy with Toot or a million other things and I know I would get 100% support and understanding from you, which I appreciate. But the truth is, sometimes I just don't feel like blogging. It's nothing personal and I don't think so highly of myself that I imagine people gnashing their teeth and bawling likes babies at my absence. Lately I have just found myself...not there. I think of blogging and my brain goes blank and my eyes glaze over.

So here's the conclusion I've come to and I write this in hopes that those of you in the same situation will repeat this to yourself over and over and take comfort in the fact that:

It's okay!

If you want to blog everyday, do it! If you want to blog once a month, that's great! If you've been blogging your fingers off and one day wake up to find that you don't feel like blogging for a week, take the friggin' week off and don't you dare feel guilty!

Apologize for it if you want to but don't feel like you have to! Unless you're getting paid for this, remember it's your blog and you can cry if you want to. (Wait, is that right?) Be courteous of course but remember that you're doing this because you like it, because you enjoy the community and want to share. And if you don't have anything to share or don't feel like writing about, take a step back until you do.

Sure, you may lose a few readers and your comment numbers may go down but who the heck cares? Don't define your blog by the number of comments, define it by the content you produce. The #1 way to get comments on your blog is to leave comments. Period. Leave 200 comments in one day and you're lucky to get 10 in return. That's just the way it works. Very few bloggers can write a post and leave their blog on autopilot.

So break the chains and claim your bloggy freedom! No more guilt for not writing, no more apologies for being "too busy"! Go live your life so you'll have something to write about in the first place! Got a headache? Go lay down and tell us about it...later. Kids have soccer? Be the loudest mouth there and then take pictures so we can see them....later. Feel like becoming a hermit and vegging out in front of the TV? Do it and let us know what happened on Grey's Anatomy....later.

Where in the Wide Wide World of Sports am I going with this anyway???

Listen, I just want you to remain confident in what you post and how you feel about your blog. IT'S OKAY to step back to live your life. IT'S OKAY to not feel like blogging or visiting. IT'S OKAY to let it go for a little while. Those that really are interested in what you have to say will always be there, not because you're amazing or the best writer or the most creative or the best mom or whatever. It's because you're you and there's something there they identify with, something about YOU that brings them back.

So you know what? You can't blog worth crap if you're loaded down with OCBD guilt and general bad feeling-ness. So if you don't wanna blog, don't! We'll all be here when you get back and will be excited to find out what's been going on. As Braveheart would say, "FREEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"

Maybe I'm just talking to myself here. Could be I'm the only one that feels this way and just need to get over it. But that's okay...It's my blog and I can post when and what I want to. :)

35 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately that I love you?
    No?
    Well I do :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Maggi! I totally agree with you. Reading what you've written here makes me feels TONS better. Sometimes, I actually DO feel guilty. It just isn't practical for me to blog everyday. And I most certainly can't Facebook constantly. It's a relief to know that there are others who do understand. You're my friend - and whether you blog every day or once a month, I'll stick by ya no matter what! ;) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!! I completely agree. If I have nothing to share, I just don't. Sometimes that means my blog goes dormant for a few days or a couple weeks, but I've learned that people always return so I try not to stress about it. I used to panic when I couldn't return every single visit right away, but then I realized I had enough other things in life I felt guilty about - if I kept feeling guilty about my blog, I would give it up. So I try really, really hard to just go with the flow. Some weeks I have more to share than others and some weeks I am better about visiting than others. It is what it is. I figured most people were the same way, so I try not to stress about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post and I couldn't agree more!! I recently wrote a post about blogging too!! I am trying to get back to blogging for ME and STOP with the whole guilt thing!! Thanks for sharing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you daaaaahling. I have to admit, there have been times I've posted stuff that I was really not happy with just so that I could post something. Post when you feel inspired, we'll be here.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've hit the nail on the head here. Blogging is supposed to be enjoyable, right? RIGHT! So. No apologies or excuses. Blog without guilt. Or don't blog, and still don't feel guilty! =D

    I totally agree with people's differences being what they have most in common with each other! ^-^
    You make total sense to me. Yay! Thanks for the kind words & encouragement. I appreciate it! Know that you are part of my community, even though we've not met in person.

    I hope your pregnancy is going well so far! =D Hope you're having a good week & that it stays wonderful. ^-^

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Sista! I totally agree and completely applaud your approach and your message - thanks for keeping it real and giving us all the will power to give ourselves permission to take a break - we all know it, but sometimes it's just nice to hear it from someone else :). You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. whoa - this is rad!!! really, really rad,,, lemme start by saying, man, you have a way with words miss maggi - your blog and your verbage always captivated me. you nailed every thought that crosses my mind, and made me feel so much better,,, sometimes I don't feel like blogging,, and sometimes I don't have time to catch up {which, by the way, had no clue you were preggers,,,, CONGRATS on that news},,, {sorry, I've been away,,, ahem, ahem,,, hardy har har,,,} second - Im usually, like as in 99.9% of my blogging time, a skimmer,,, a scanner,,, I skim
    or scan looking for key words and the general just of what's going on,, this post caught my eye big time, maybe because I had notices your absence and wondered what's new with your life,,, anyway, again, nicely put,,, I'm so glad I read each and every word in this post,,, and well,,. well catch up,,, eventually. thanks for sharing and making me, and I'm sure a ton of other bloggers feel better. happy. normal!!!! take care Maggi, and again, congrats on the bum in the oven!!!
    {xoxo} Ally

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry - just read my comment after I posted it,,, looks like my iPhone switched up a few words on me,,, isn't that sweet?? hopefully you'll get the idea of what I'm trying to say, like. I wasn't saying a "bum in the oven" I meant a BUN in the oven,, of course,,, ;-)
    ,,,had to clear that up,, or else you and I both would lose sleep over it!!! ;-)
    {xoxo}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggi, Maggi, Maggi. I truly believe you are psychic. And your powers work over the ocean too!

    Love you!

    I think people get to caught up in how many followers they have/how many commenters they have. I have 145 'followers' but think in reality I have about 10-15 people who I truly count as people that follow my blog, they do all the things you said above. They laugh with me, they put a virtual arm round my shoulders when I'm ranting at the world - just today I had an unexpected parcel arrive 'just because' containing, amongst other things - peanut M&M's which made me nearly pee my pants with laughter... I feel sometimes my bloggy friends know me more than the people in my 'real' day to day life. So I blog for them, and myself and I feel bad when I don't blog or get behind with what's going on in their lives.

    But I've made the best friends - you amongst them, and I've been lucky enough to meet up with a few of them and will be again in October. But we wouldn't be expected to talk to and give constant updates to our everyday friends in 'real life' so we shouldn't feel bad when we just have nothing to say. And you've hit the nail on the head. Again. And I now have something else to smile about today!

    Thanks Maggi Moo! x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew, I thought this was gonna end with you saying "goodbye blog"! That would have been crap, as I really enjoy visiting here... =(

    But you're definately right. One should blog when one feels like it. And one should blog 'bout whatever they feel like blogging about. My blog started as scrapbooking only, but I felt that I wanted to share more... maybe see if there are more like me or maybe have people understand and stuff... My photos and random gaming rants will never get as much comments as a random scrap LO I finished just because, but I still want to share... Dunno.

    Great post, so true...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should NEVER feel that you HAVE to blog. Nope no way! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said GF!!! I am guilty of the not leaving a comment thing....I'm not going to feel guilty about that either!! Ha ha!!! :) Thanks for the chuckle Maggie!! Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dont do blogging but i love following others, i dont comment on every blog i read and i dont care if posts are weeks or months apart after all its a glimpse into someone elses life, a sneak peek on how and what others do!! go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I just copy and paste this and pretend it is a post I wrote - minus the being pregnant of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! That was a very well thought out blog post, as much as you say it wasn't!!

    My blog SUCKS lately. I put up something, say how I made it, done. blah. But, I have something in the works!!! We'll see?

    Feel good!! Take care!! You know where to find me!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OHHHHHHHHHHH I could not agree with you more...I am in such a rut with my Blog and THANK YOU....for letting me be OK with it....I think I will just go and yell my head off at the soccer game and veg in front of the TV, because I just don't feel like writing a darn thing.....YIPPEE...you made me free!!!!

    It's OK and hey I just have not been creative and that's OK to...right...right...tell me that I am right!!!

    You take care of you and I promise I will still love you!!! I am never going to 200 responses to a post and that is OK!!!! I will be here to respond to yours...because I JUST LOVE YA GIRLIE!!!!

    Yippee...I am skipping outside to sit in the warm breeze and chill, instead of trying to come up with something to post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have been reading my mind. I have so much shit going on in my own life that I am overwhelmed to blog about it and to have to think about crafting is like the furthest thing from my mind.

    The more I read you...the more I think you are my sister from another mother! Keep up the rad work because if you haven't been told lately....we totally dig you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very well said Maggi! I do look for your posts every time I log on to blogger.....NOOOOO don't feel the guilt haha I just love your wit and keeping up with you:) I wanna know how far along you are and when your due! Please sure soon or later whenever is fine with me too! Hope you are enjoying Toot and your family is doing well! Love ya friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh maggi...what a great post....loved all you had to say and needed to hear it as well....thanks :) did i read that right? a little one on the way? congrats! congrats! i'm enjoying my life...glad you're enjoying yours!!! i always love visiting you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well said Maggi....and HUGE CONGRATS on the new little one on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you wrote this for me, I needed to hear it. Hope your doing wonderful dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go, sister!! I feel your pain, too. Sometimes my inspiration goes on vacation, and I'm left feeling like why do I continue to do this?!! I do enjoy your blog immensely, though, and think you are a very talented and funny writer and artist! I will continue to come back here now and again to see if you've written anything witty recently. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amen Maggi and every thing you said is so true. I have not blogged since April.Of course I said my sorries. I told some of my blogging friends that I can only blog when I can. Life happens.You take care Dear,
    XXOO Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well said! For awhile, I felt as if my blog was consuming me. Then.. I decided to step back and write one post a week. Most of the time I can accomplish this, but sometimes I go a week and a half or so. I've learned that comments aren't everything, and putting up good content is all that really matters.
    Nice post girlie! It needed to be said!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I needed to read this today! I have been meaning to blog all day but I'm just not feeling up to it, I'm not feeling like writing and I don't think the content I would post would be all that awesome. So I'm not going to post... thanks for encouragement to take the day off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've said it, Maggi, and you've said it wonderfully well! I for one am going to take these wise words on board and keep them in mind when I'm sitting staring blankly at my computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i am just catching up after my babymoon (not blogging or commenting) and i totally agree with you :D

    SUPER DUPER CONGRATS TO YOU ON YOUR PREGNANCY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome post. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just wanted to say hello! I appreciate your "Say no to guilt for not blogging or whatever to do with blogging" post! Hope all is well with you and your sweet family.

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails