Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Being a Hooker Pays Off

Hi everyone!

I was getting ready to write a post about our Thanksgiving but was too excited about my newest crochet obsession so that will have to wait. I hope everyone had a great holiday and that you survived the Black Friday rush (if that's your thing). :D

I've mentioned Twinkie Chan before, she's one of my crochet idols. I've been stalking her blog and Twitter for quite a while now so when she announced she was coming out with a book of her original crochet patterns, I just about hit the floor.

Cut to months and months later and her book is FINALLY out and FINALLY mine!

I love to create "quirky" things and most crochet books out there right now are your standard potholders, afghans and mitts with a few amigurumi thrown in for good measure. Now, I'm not complaining, none of the above are bad or anything but for a goof like me, I need some crochet quirk and there's just not that much to be had. Plus, how could I not buy a book that has its own rap video???



The first thing I made was the Cupcake Scarf:



Then I made the Candy Button Scarf:



And I'm just about finished with the Buttered Toast Scarf:

For those of you that love to crochet and are looking for more out of the box type patterns, this book is one you MUST get! Twinkie Chan's patterns are very easy to follow and her projects work up quick. My favorite part of her patterns is their repetition. Once you get it down you can start hooking on auto-pilot which I love, not having to look at a book every other second is definitely a good thing.

It occurs to me that I'm making multiple scarves but I only have one neck so I'm thinking of giving these bad boys away on this here blog. :) I was going to do a whole Christmas thing but my blogoversary is in January so I think I'll keep on hooking (the crochet one, not the illegal one) and try to get a great big pile of awesome to give away in the New Year so be keeping an eye out for that coming soon! :D

Have a great day everyone!

24 comments:

  1. They are so awesome! I would kill for a chance to win one. Well, maybe not kill... how about maim?

    Twinkie's stuff makes me want to learn to crochet. She's so cool - and so are you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! I LOVE LOVE them!! I can't crochet at all and I'm in awe...just stunning how cute those scarves are and again, I can't do it so to me it's like magic. :) I WANT ONE! I'm so entering to win one. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am prepared to body slam everyone out of the waywith my flubber blubber to win one of these so yayyyys BRING. IT. ON! Love your creations from Twinkies creations Maggi. So cool. And love, love, loving that you are back with us :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggi! Those are so stinkin awesome! You should open an Etsy store! oh wait, shut up, what am I saying...I mean, yes, you should give them away on here ;-)

    I wish I knew how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheeky girl! What a funny post title :D
    THose scarves are positively inspired. And you, my dear, look cute as a button in the white one.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE the cupcake scarf. Seriously, how could one resist??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggi I WANT that cupcake scraf!!! That might be the cutest thing I have ever seen! You are so creavtive and what a cute book. If I was a good hooker I would be buying this book but I am not lol! Great job girl and how are you feeling!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. look at you go girl! Love the scarves and you know you can just send that cupcake bad boy my way and that can be your give away! i am drooling!!!!! :) Gosh darn I wish I could do something besides make tight knots when I crochet! ugh!
    Sure hoping to make it to Urban Craft Uprising on Saturday!
    PS your title totally has me cracking up. Needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice work! i HAVE to get that book already. you're already 3 scarves ahaead of me! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome! =D

    I can't wait to get my hands on this book... Too fun! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me? HOW CUTE ARE THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow Maggie, you've been busy- no wonder you love that book. These are just adorable!!!!!!!!!!! Hook away girl, hook away!!!!!!!!!!!!! xOxO

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I think I need to learn how to crochet- I love HER and her stuff!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post title is the BESTEST ever!! HEHEHEHEHHEHEHE!! You crack me up!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee what you have created!! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Maggi...these are AWESOME! Almost...and I stress ALMOST...makes me wish I could crochet! I can't even decide which one I love the most...the cupcakes are awesome...the dotted candy so authentic looking and the buttered toast is just so bizarre I have to love it for that reason alone. It's amazing that you could whip up all three of them so fast! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your post title! Ha ha ha!!! Wow your scarves are super cute - uber cute actually!!! I don't know how to hook, but I think I need to learn! This is awesome!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Maggi....you are such a talented HOOKER!!!!! I adore all of these but my favorite is the candy one!!! I used to love these as a kid and it brought back such wonderful memories!!!!

    You go girl...keep HOOKING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you are back, Maggi! I really missed you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cupcakes, Batman! This is awesome! *o*
    Can't believe people who have the patience and skill to do things like this... Amazing I say~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maggi, you naughty hooker! LOL Seriously, your creations from that book are BEYOND cute! I especially adore that cupcake scarf. Looks good enough to eat (wonder if yarn is tasty!). Hope you and the family had a great holiday! Sorry I've been so absent. :( You look terrific, by the way! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was a perfect morning indeed. ^-^

    I'm just glad I got out of bed to enjoy it! I always mean to get up a bit earlier than I do, so I can get some "me" time before my "day" begins, but I usually lose the fight with my nice, warm bed... lolz...

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are fantastic, especially as I love candy buttons and cupcakes.

    Lovely work!
    \
    Ashley
    http://www.afterninetofive.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg that is too funny! I just put this book on my Christmas wish list! Her designs are so cool......and there is just not enough cool crochet books out there. Haha but I didn't know she had a video :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did I miss this post? That blog title should be enough to lure me in...;)

    I love that cupcake scarf!!!! Just wondering what I can wear it with...hmmm..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails