Skip to main content

Evolution of Inspiration

Hi everyone!

So I've written a couple of posts about inspiration boards, having put off making one myself since about 2009. lol Yes, that's right - I've been collecting what nots and what have yous since late 2009. I started a box labeled: "Inspiration Board" so that when I finally got off my creative backside to put it together, I would have everything I needed (and hopefully would still be inspired by it, lol). I'm happy to report that I did it!!! (In your face 2011!) I am very pleased with my final result and can't wait to share it with you!

This is what I started with, an old canvas of mine of a painting I didn't really care for and wasn't attached to very much.

Since some of the items in my box were things that needed to "sit" i.e. - they were dimensional, I got the idea to use the inside of the canvas instead of the outside. (This is a great trick if you need a "shelf" looking section for your piece or want a ready made frame.) So I Gesso'd and painted the edges turquoise, added some shots of turquoise mist then glued on pink sequins (one of my current favorite color combos: pink and turquoise :D).

I started to play with the objects in my box to see what might look best and used one of my favorite tips, useful for scrapbooking or any project where you want to try out layering different materials before you glue down: take a picture! If you take a picture of your layout before you start gluing, you can reference the picture and won't forget where you want to place things.

Anyhoo, after doing this it occurred to me that some of the background might show through and I did not want anyone seeing some ugly old canvas so I decided to get out my trusty Mod Podge and cover the background completely in vintage magazine pages. That way if something showed through (which did end up happening) then it would look like I planned it that way instead of just showing blank space. :P

And finally, my finished result! I am so in love with how this turned out. There's so much of "me" on this board and it really does inspire me to get everything back out and create all over again!

**I've included so many things here that some of you have sent to me. I never lie when I say that I'm inspired by you and anything that is sent to me gets the best home! :D

If you don't have one already, I encourage you to create your own inspiration board (and let me know if you do!)

Even if you don't create an actual "board", think about starting a box where you keep those little doo dads that have special meaning. You can create an inspiration board, book, table, wall, box, anything where you can see it every day and be inspired to be you!

Thanks for taking a peek! And don't forget, all next week I'll be hosting giveaways to celebrate my 2 year blogoversary, there will be something new up for grabs every day! :D

Comments

  1. Hi there! I have been taking a blog vacation because I felt rather blah! I am back. Still frazzled but missed blogging. I love the inspiration board. What a great idea. I collect little snippets from magazines. Maybe I should create.... Missed you. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just awesome Maggi! :) I so want to make my own! So much to do...so little time...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always so creative and inspiring with your artwork. I like to redo old things I don't like anymore also. My problem lately seems to be I need a new camera and take pics of my work. Love your inspiration board Maggi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh FRACK! (hehehehehehehe...had to say that for the Battlestar reference I see on your board! lol!) This is AMAZING!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! I loveeeeeeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Maggi..you are an inspiration....I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this!!! It is awesome...it rockes...it is PERFECT!!!

    Thanks for sharing with us today!!! You made me smile!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gurl, You have some nifty business going down on this blog. Meet your new favorite follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fabulous! It is so you :D I bet it makes you smile whenever you look at it.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just started following your blog, because anyone who shares my irrational love of glitter is clearly super awesome.
    I really like your inspiration board, and the frame the canvas provides. I have a bulletin board for my revolving ideas, but this is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. an absolutely inspired idea...I LIKE it! Will I do it...again absolutely...even if it is to just put all the little inspiration bits in a box! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been toying with the thought of making one since you started talking about it on Twitter... Still thinking but I have to add also. I adore your glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh what a fun project! love your board! two of my FAVE colors together as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this - it's so beautiful and artsy - so much to look at - Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never have thought of Pink and Turquoise....its so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Maggi!! This turned out great! I am hoping to work on my creative space over the next 4 days, put up the cupcakes and art canvases you made me... hopefully find some inspiration and this post is totally the kick in the pants I need. Love that you used the back side of the canvas. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your inspiration board is great! It's fun to be inspired by others and from what makes us happiest. Thanks for sharing how you put it all together! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just popped by to wish you all a very Happy New Year!

    Hugs

    XOXO Lola & Nora:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your inspiration board. I've been wanting to make one for a long time now too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is a very cool inspirational piece - i see 'you' in it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just TOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment