Monday, January 24, 2011

Pick Your Battles

Hi everyone!

Before I get started I wanted to make you aware of a couple of places where I've guest blogged lately. The first is a post entitled "Organize Your Inspiration" over at Gauche Alchemy and the other is a quick post on why I blog over at Little Red Crafting Corner. Cazhugs is a new blogger who created Little Red Crafting Corner and I would LOVE to see some people visit and leave her some love. Blogging can be tough when you're first starting out so let's show her what a great community we have going here! Thanks!!!

So you're probably aware of the saying, "Pick your battles". This can be applied to any facet of life but being the mother of a two year old, I'm finding that "picking my battles" becomes an hourly thing around here.

Recently I could not, for the LIFE of me, keep Toot out of the dog's water bowl. She saw him drinking out of it and all of a sudden just HAD to start drinking out of it herself. And of course her response to my slow-mo dramatic "Nooooooooo!" was "Mmmmm, goo wa Mama!" (Toot Translation: "Mmmmm, good water you're such a bad mother, why else would I drink from a dog's water bowl, hmmm?")

So after begging and pleading, time outs and varied other methods of discipline had no effect, I decided that this was one battle I just wasn't meant to win. Sometimes as a parent, the path of least resistance is the only path that won't lead to you burning down your house and making a run for Rio.

So a deal was struck (as much as a 2 year old can understand the art of making a deal): if Toot stayed OUT of Lebowski's water bowl, I would in turn provide her with her own water bowl. Believe it or not, this not only was a HUGE success but kept Toot busy for a good 15 minutes at least. SCORE!

Am I ashamed to have my 2 year old drinking water out of a bowl on the floor? Pfffft, please. So far I'm thinking this is the best parenting decision I've ever made.

"Mmmm...goo wa Mama!"

"Goo wa" indeed, my little Toot. Plus, because I am such a wonderful mother, I videotaped her drinking out of said bowl. What? I gotta have something in my blackmail arsenal, right? Muwahahahahaha!



Plus, come on - this kid is cute...even as a dog.

21 comments:

  1. She is so cute. Gotta love her. Now if I could just teach my little dog to talk :)
    Love ya Maggi, great to hear your voice on this and Toots. Hope your feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toot is too cute! :) What a funny story...I can't even get my dogs to drink water...lol..

    Off to check out your other guest post!

    Have a fabulous week Maggi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. toot is just too cute - bless her!!! some battles are just not meant to be won..... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your guest posts, awesome work! And I definately agree with blogging about whatever you feel like... except that I went the other way, I started with a scrap blog which now got some gaming and other blah inserted into it. XD

    and lol
    "What are you doing?"
    "................Goo waah!" >w<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are a very smart mama! Creative thinking is keeping both you & Toots happy : ) She is very cute!! When are you due with your 2nd, Maggi?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I can NOT STOP LAUGHING!!! She is soooooooooooo STINKIN' CUTE!! I soooooooooooo think YOU need to SUBMIT again to AFV!!!!!!! This is soooooooooooooooo FUNNY!!! WOW WOW!! Loveeeeeee it... and PS.. ummmmmmmm... I loveeeeeeee the dog's name!! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe! This is so cute and funny! I totally agree with the picking of the battles. My dd is two and she would eat sweet tarts for every meal if we let her... We've decided that she can just have a sweet tart with her meal... Ahh... the loveliness of negotiating with a two year old! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutly love this! When my oldest was 2 it was a battle to get her to sit in a highchair. She would scream the entire time. She wanted to eat in the floor with the "ki ki" (the cat). So finally we just fixed her meal and gave it to her in the floor. It worked and got her to eat. I say it a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Toot you are too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable and a good compromise between Mom and Toot!
    Yay! The video was STAR class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teehee! I wish I had thought of that when all 3 of mine developed a taste for dog food! Gross!

    I love that your doggy is called Lebowski :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh bless :-) Kids do the funniest things as they say!!

    P.S thanks for the Blog love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. On a good note... you did awesome with mama negotiations.

    On a sad note... it doesn't get easier as they get older.

    On an evil laugh note... negotiations WILL benefit YOU in the future! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh...you, your parenting style, your kids and your entire family are adorable! LOVE this post!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh Maggie, that is TOOO cute. She is going to get a huge kick out of watching that in about 10years. I think it was brilliant for you to come up with that idea. Way to go!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is too stinking cute!! I remember eating the dog's food when I was a kid. In my opinion, you are a terrific mother for letting her have her own bowl! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Toot is just so precious! Katelyn used to love to drink out of the dogs bowl when she was Toot's age. Such fond memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is adorable!

    My daughter has done that before too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE thisssssssssssss!!!!! Gavin was famous for snitching the cat food out of the bowl and eating it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Maggi-this had me laughing so hard I was in tears. Sorry - I mean no offense. But I have to tell you, you came up with a BRILLIANT idea! You are awesome, my friend. :) Take care! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is hilarious! I stopped sterilizing our oldest's bottles the day I found him in the closet chewing on a pair of my shoes. We have all had our "children as pets" moments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails