Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Night Fab Five: Bob's My Uncle

Hi everyone and welcome to another Friday Night Fab Five where I list 5 things I adore this week. You know what I've decided? I need to move to England. They have awesome vintage shops and soirees, they call french fries "chips" AND if I ever did move there I could use the line from National Lampoon's European Vacation, "Look kids, Big Ben!"

And since I am also in love with the watch instantly feature on Netflix (which ironically is not available in the UK which might postpone my move across the pond), this week's Fab Five is about 5 (actually 4 with one honorable mention) Instant favorites of mine even the Queen couldn't help but watch.

1. Sir David Attenborough Narrating Anything



I would listen to Sir David Attenborough read the phone book (if we still needed huge phone books anymore) all day long and Netflix has enough Instant Attenborough to satisfy any nature lovin' fanatic.

2. Sherlock



Sherlock is a BBC show and a modern retelling of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and his ever faithful sidekick Watson. First of all, they picked the best actor ever to play Sherlock who has the best name ever: Benedict Cumberbatch. Second, the fabulous Martin Freeman plays Watson. I first fell in love with Freeman in Love Actually and that love tripled when I found out he was playing Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming Hobbit movies. YES! Third, the series is really awesome. Here's hoping they make more when Freeman is done filming The Hobbit.

3. Young @ Heart



Young @ Heart is an absolute charming documentary about the Young @ Heart chorus and their live concert, Alive and Well. The group consists of senior citizens that tour around singing past and present songs. One of my favorites is their rendition of "I Wanna Be Sedated".

(And before you cry foul, "This doesn't have anything to do with England!" let me just say, the narrator has a British accent, so there. :P)

4. Doctor Who (11th Edition)



Being the proud geek that I am, you would assume that I naturally watch Doctor Who but no, it's never really registered on my "Must Watch or Lose My Geek Member Card" radar. But when Netflix added the first season of the 11th Doctor (played by Matt Smith) I was immediately intrigued. And I'm not ashamed to admit that it's mainly because Matt Smith is C-U-T-E. Luckily, this season has more than eye candy and I may have to go back and watch previous seasons with the other Doctor's incarnations.

5. A Show Not on Netflix But Must Be Mentioned Because It's Awesome: Game of Thrones



Holy CRAP if you're not watching HBO's newest show, Game of Thrones, adapted from George R.R. Martin's awesome book series, A Song of Fire and Ice you...are...missing...out...BIG...TIME...!!! (And Sean Bean is British, see how I tied that together?)

And there you have it, my love song to England through the power of couch potato-ness. What are your favorites this week?

9 comments:

  1. I started watching downloads of True Blood, a vampire series, but not as teenage-ish as some of the rest. Its pretty good so far :D
    Have a great weekend ahead.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveeeeeeeeeee this! I have two girls at work talking in British accents all day... makes me want to move there! :):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back and blogging again Maggi!
    My favorite this week... playing Super Smash Bros Brawl with my beloved every day before going to bed. It's awesome to kick some ass and then fall asleep as if I just beat up all the problems and can rest peacefully... =w=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! If you move to England, I'll totally come with! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! You need to come to England! YES! YES! YES!

    I love Rory in this new series of Dr Who - oh how wonderful he is! One of my favourite characters. Have you watched to the Roman Centurian bit yet? Oh and the Van Gogh episode goes down as one of my favourite Dr Who episodes ever in the world ever. Ever.

    Yeah - you lot need to stop remaking our shows and just WATCH OUR versions. (Did we remake Friends? And Buffy? No! We watched yours!) Have you watched Being Human yet? The UK version? You'd love it!

    Good to have you back Maggi! Kissy hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Fab Five! I love most things British, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh I love Game Of Thrones, and I agree I just got Netflix a month ago and I love it! I watch it more than normal TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. David Attenborough is actually my hero!! I Love him so much! But don't do it, don't move here...the weather SUCKS :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reading back in you blog (no idea how I ended up here) anyway, if you haven't, you should check out Old Gregg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInySnQe4I

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails