Monday, July 25, 2011

101 Crochet Squares For the Rich and Famous

Hi everyone!

My fingers decided to cooperate and let me hook for a little bit the other day, huzzah! It actually all started with a book I've been stalking for months now:



This book is no longer in print and when that happens, the price skyrockets on places like eBay and Amazon. (As of this writing, used copies are selling on Amazon for $50 and new copies are selling for over $100. Not to mention the copies selling for $150 on Alibris.com. Nuts, right?) It's been way too rich for my hooking blood until I lucked up on an eBay listing and scored a copy last week for $7 bucks. Wow, patience does pay off I guess! :P

So now that I've scored a copy of 101 Crochet Squares without it resulting in spending all of our money and my husband suing me for divorce, I've decided to crochet every square in this book, all 101 of them, all in order. Hopefully my fingers will keep up. :D

And so it begins...here is Square 1

Square 1 is a flower square, using a pansy. Instead of crocheting this as all one piece, you crochet the pansy, crochet the square and then sew one onto the other.

I promise the colors in real life are pretty, I used light and dark purples NOT light purple and dark blue like it looks in the pictures. lol

Not bad for my first square but I think I could have done better on the pansy. Hmmm...

I tell you, when I discover a book (or other object) I want but cannot find, it becomes my mission. I MUST find it or die trying! Okay, maybe not die trying but still, it's fun to hunt down your own personal holy grails. :)

What have you been on the hunt for lately?

8 comments:

  1. Aww, I love your pansy square!

    My husband likes out-of-print art books and one he wants is OVER $1000.00! Sheesh.

    I get on hunts for songs I hear in commercials. My latest quest? The one for the "Eat Street" show on the Cooking Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool deal on that book!! And loving the squares you have done so far! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo on the fantastic deal!!! 101 squares sounds like a lot of work...but I'm sure you'll get it done pretty quickly!

    Square 1 is looking pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. purple pansies are one of my favorite flowers. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have gotten hooked on vintage crochet books and magazines. I find it funny how different places label vintage, some are still in print. However, patience is the key. You can find most patterns for a price you want to pay. Some are a bit more stubborn, but I have had amazing luck when I wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ * ♥ * ~

    Oh Maggi ~ that book looks seriously awesome! I was thinking that I would love to get a copy, then I saw the prices it was going for... *sad face*

    Oh well ~ you win some, you lose some. You won great though! I love that pansy square; it looks lovely. :D

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!! I can't crochet but it always makes me feel warm & fuzzy when I see a square like your pansy :) Crograts on the bargin buy book too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohooo on the fantastic deal on the book. that had to make your day! and you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails