Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Night Fab Five: I'm Literate and Stuff

Hi everyone!

Welcome to a new Friday Night Fab Five where I list 5 things I'm currently enamored of. Wait, is it "enamored of" or "enamored with"? Eh, whatever...I'm too lazy to Google it right now...At any rate, I just like this stuff, so there you go.

This week is all about books. I'm a big reader (well, I was a big reader before video games, marriage and kids...in that order) but I still read when I can find the time and lately have read some real gems. Summer tends to be the season when a lot of people read more so I thought that this week I would share 5 awesome books that are brainless. And by "brainless" I don't mean that they are brainless, I mean they are just pure fun and you don't need to use your brain to enjoy them. :)

As I was writing this post, it occurred to me that all of my picks have way bad potty mouth so be warned of that. Right-o, here we go:

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey

(Image Source: Amazon.com)

Bossypants by Tina Fey had me laughing so hard, I choked on my M&Ms. I think chicks will dig this book more than the men will but it.is.FUNNY. The chapters are snappy and each can stand alone making for a quick read. I made the mistake of trying to read this while getting Toot settled for the night and my laughing kept her awake.

2. Emails From an A**hole: Real People Being Stupid

(Image Source: Amazon.com)

E-mails From an A**hole follows the adventures of John Lindsay as he responds to (and posts) classified ads. The results are hilarious! You can read more (or get the flavor of the book) from his site, dontevenreply.com.

3. Sh*t My Dad Says

(Image Source: Amazon.com)

I've mentioned Sh*t My Dad Says before but it bears repeating: it is amazingly funny! Author Justin Halpern shows off his dad's nuggets of wisdom interspersed with stories from his childhood. An awesome read!

4. A Song of Ice and Fire (Series)

(Image Source: Amazon.com)

The book series, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin starts with the book A Game of Thrones which you've heard me talk about HBO's show here before. The books are just as good and if I may be so bold to say, the TV show is the closest adaptation to a book series I've ever seen. This series is sure to engage you for hours, days even! Some major crap hits the proverbial fan in this series...and it is awesome. BTW, buy the 4 book series off of Amazon, it's WAY cheaper than buying each book individually. Here's another tip: Try to avoid spoilers! :)

5. Angry Birds

(Image Source: Amazon.com)

No, this isn't a book but the game Angry Birds has inspired much potty mouth from yours truly. (Stupid birds that cheat and don't land where I tell them to...) I sincerely need to take a course on ladylike language. :P It reminds me of the days when I played video games all night online with the boys. I picked up a lot of colorful verbage from them to say the least. They're also the reason I call everyone (including girls) "Dude".

Right well...there you have it! My literary potty mouth edition of this week's Friday Night Fab Five! Oh, we a winner to announce, yes?

First of all, thanks to everyone that commented on my post, FedEx Thinks I'm Fat! I really just needed a virtual hug after that whole big mess and it was nice to have some friends be outraged on my behalf, that's what friends are for, yes? So thank you so much! I would be glad to crochet from here to eternity if I could to make something for you all but I think my fingers would fall off so I'll have to content myself with choosing one person...or do I? It is my blog after all so there are TWO winners!

The winner of the book, Kooky Crochet is Jen!

And I've decided to have a second winner, for whom I shall hook something Kooky and that winner is: yyam!

Congrats to the both of you! Please e-mail your mailing address to me at: justaddglitter at gmail dot com ASAP.

And for those of you not interested in my potty mouth selection this week, here's Zippy smiling:



Have a great weekend everyone! :)

10 comments:

  1. haha I really want to ready number number 2, it looks like a good laugh :) Awesome fab 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Maggi, I am sitting here laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face...reading the emails from that guy who messes with classified ad people. Funniest thing EVER. My family is wondering what the heck is so funny. Thanks for the laughs!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding these books to my list. I regret removing bossypants :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehehehe... I am totally ADDICTED to angry birds, rio, seasons... lol... soooooooo addicting!! And ZIPPY is adorable!! Looks like she is trying to have a convo with you and just can't quite get the words out! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! Zippy is SO CUTE it hurts to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Emma about Zippy - totally gorgeous to watch :D Thanks for sharing!

    As for books, will look out for the Tina Fey one and the George R.R Martin methinks :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally dying to read the ice and fire books but iv got a reading list as long as my arm at the mo :-P

    awww Zippy..... :-) such a cutie pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, ladies! I've got to check most of these items out, but I definitely loved the Sh*t my Dad says! Funny, funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails