Sunday, September 4, 2011

Crochet Meh

The cover of the September/October 2011 issue of Crochet Today is cuter than a bug's ear:
"Hi! I'm perky and sweet and so cute in my hat!"
See? Isn't that the cutest hat and the cutest cowl on the cutest model you ever did see? I thought so too when this issue arrived at my doorstep. I knew I just had to hook up that hat. And so it was that I was lucky enough to have some yarn left over from this hot mess. I loved the color scheme from the baby afghan from hell and decided to use the same color scheme to make this gorgeous hat.

"Hi. I'm not perky nor sweet nor so cute in this hat...meh."
That was my last good decision in the matter of this hat. I'm not calling this a Craft Fail because it is indeed a hat. But I am going to call this a "Craft...meh." because I did not instantly feel like throwing it up in the air a la the Mary Tyler Moore show. Actually, maybe I did want to "throw it up" but not in the air.
"Blah"
The main problem is that it's just too small and it's all my fault. I'm notoriously hateful of "checking my gauge" which for you non-hookers means that you crochet part of the pattern and then measure it to make sure it's the right size. Checking gauge saves you all sorts of time because you won't end up spending days and days hooking something that won't fit right. Like I did. (See pictures above)

Well I can't help it! I hate reading manuals and I hate checking gauge so I accept full responsibility for the above "meh" of a hat. This just sucks because Lord knows, I have a talent for rocking a hat. I LOVE hats. *sigh* Oh well, I finally tried the hat on Toot and of course she looks adorable in it.
"Look at me! Mommy's time has passed, there's a new hat rocker in town!"
Oh whatever Toot!  So lesson learned folks: Take the time to be bored and boring and check your gauge, otherwise your two year old will look cooler than you.

"In your face Mommy!"
The end.

13 comments:

  1. Toooooooooooo cute!!! And I think it looks adorable on both of you! :):):) And Brookie had that SAME shirt as Toot! LOVE IT! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Julie: looks cute on both of you! I hate checking gauge, but have been getting better at it, although I still don't do it with every project. I mean, come on, you think I have time to knit up all those little swatches?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daaaaahling, you and Toot know how to rock a at better than the magazine model, that's for sure! You did such a beautiful job of recreating it!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, glad the hat and all work didn't go to waste at least! ;)
    It looks really cool, I like your blue version a lot better than the red one on the mag~ ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Lucky Toot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too funny! The hat is as cute as a button, and I'm sure you would have rocked it had it fit properly. Toot is absolutely adorable in it, so at least you have that. Reading this almost makes me want to take up crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss Maggi! These pics are adorable!!!! You and Toot, soooo cute! Love Love Love the hat- you are so awesome with your art of crocheting!!!! I miss you too, we need to catch up! And send me some baby pics please!!!!!!! xOxOxO

    ReplyDelete
  8. the hat looks fantastic on toot :D

    such a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've checked the gauge in my life......and that is why my creations come out in all kinds of shapes and sizes haha!! Nice colour though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! My eyes are watering from laughing so dang hard...but I have to laugh real quiet cuz the fam is sleeping in their rooms so I'm doing that kind of laugh where you sound like you're wheezing....my tummy hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Maggi, I think it's cute on both of you! What an awesome hat and I love how you just whip these things up.I'd be tangled up in yarn for days on end, not even getting one..what...hook?row? stitch?...done. I am indeed one of the "non-hookers" in, well, both senses of the word so once again, I am in awe of your talents.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww I think you both look fabulous in the hat! I have yet to flip thru that issue....but it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails