Monday, December 12, 2011

How to Make Glitter Crayons

Hi everyone!

Taking old crayons and making them into...well, crayons isn't a new thing but we did it for the first time today and found it to be super easy and really quick. Two things I always look for when doing something crafty with Toot. Toot has an unbelievable amount of broken crayons and it was either this, save them for my projects (of which I already have quite the collection) or trash them.

You don't need much for these guys:

Thank you, various restaurants!
  1. Broken crayons (We had a bunch from going out to eat that the restaurants gave to Toot)
  2. A mini muffin pan (You could also use metal cookie cutters for fun shapes)
  3. Cooking Spray
  4. Glitter (If you want it...and you know you want it)

I was able to include Toot in the project by giving her the job of getting all the paper off the crayons. Unfortunately, she was too busy for a proper photo:
"Smile for the camera, Toot!" "No Momma, I'm busy."

Spray your pan, break or cut your crayon pieces into smaller pieces and add them to the muffin cups. I also added a little glitter because well, I like glitter. (You probably weren't aware of this.)

Pre-melt

I put them in a 250F degree oven and left them for just under 10 minutes. Your oven might use less or more time so keep an eye on them.

Mmmmm, melty.

They cooled off pretty quick, somewhere around 30 minutes. Toot was super excited and took off to color. (Oh yeah, you have the added bonus of some quiet time while they're coloring away. Score!)

All done!

I was thinking, this would a super fast and cheap project to do for last minute stocking stuffers or when you're stuck for a gift idea. Stick them in a small baggie and attach some ribbon. Done!

9 comments:

  1. this is such a great idea!
    toot is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like glitter? Blimey you kept that one quiet!

    Love these :P Unfortunately any stray crayons left around here get munched by Cooper the pooper. And yes - he then does multicoloured poops as evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! LOVE it!! And Toot is soooooooooooo cute cute cute! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those turned out so pretty with the glitter in them! *claps hands and squeals*

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute! Have you seen the machines they sell now to make new crayons from old ones? It goes into a mold to shape them into a new crayon. I just saw the commercial recently. I'm sure it's made my Crayola :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! I'll have to try this with my boys, cause they are horrible with breaking crayons!!

    Oh, and Toot is definitely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so much fun, Maggi!!!! We all need a little extra glitter these days. :) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails