Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Peacock Tales

Hi everyone!

A while back I got a paper mache book box from Hobby Lobby. It sat there and sat there and sat there because, quite frankly, I had no idea what the heck to do with it.



I started by rolling old book pages...think I did about 20+ of these:


I got the idea to line the outside where the "pages" of my book would go with these rolls. After that, I had no clue what else to do...I finally decided to go for an aged look so I covered the outside in gel medium, then painted it, added mist and then sewing pattern paper (a technique I learned from Julie).



At Hobby Lobby I also found this drawer pull on clearance which I snatched up too and decided to add that to the front of my "book".





I added some lines to the spine with Distress Crackle Paint:


Now I needed to deal with the inside which took about a week to think about since I was at a loss of how to go about it. Luckily my haul of clearance glittery Christmas ornaments came in handy as I found a blue super glitterfied (yes, that is a word) peacock. I decided that for my "book" I wanted the outside to be completely boring to make way for the inside to be colorful and "peacock-ish".


I started by taking PVC Punchinella and used it as a stencil with modeling paste. I painted it, added purple and teal mists.


Then I took a paper towel roll to create circles with white acrylic paint. The line "What care I how fair she be, If she be not fair for me?" is from Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott.

Of course I had to add some fun fur yarn and gems to it as well.  I tried to get as much glitter in there as I could. :D

Sometimes not knowing what to do with something works out for the best...

21 comments:

  1. Wow, I really like the contrast between the vintage aged outside and the colourful 'zing' of the inside. Great work. The peacock is beautiful and sits perfectly in your book/box.

    Great idea with the paper rolls for the look of pages.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! How spectacular! I thought the exterior looked awesome....but so not Maggi...where's the glitter...and then that burst of vibrant colours and glitter. Totally Maggi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I really really really really really LOVE (really!) how this turned out!! GORGEOUS!!! Glad you were able to use my 'texture' technique!! It turned out AWESOME!!!! Loving the rolled papers too and the peacock!! Just awesome-sauce my dearest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Cool idea! I wish I were crafty! Thank you for visiting me on my SITS Day! Please come back anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Maggi! Just W O W! This is amazing! I love how you did the rolled pages. And that peacock. I love peacocks. And that peacock is AWESOME! Uh, I do believe you have my address. Just sayin'! (jk!) Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! This is SOOOOOOOOOO cool! I love the outside...so vintage and aged (and the rolls are so clever).....and inside is a surprise of glittery goodness! Fab! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great! I like the difference between the outside and inside -wow! It is like a lovely surprise when you open it : )))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's really cool. I especially like the little cutout quote. Nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is crazy gorgeous and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very unique. It's really neat! It can be so fun not having a firm vision of a project; you get to go with the flow. Nice use of the Alcott quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. holy smokes that is beautiful! I was thinking how cool the rolled paper was for pages when BAM! the peacock picture came in view - eye-popping! Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever and wonderful! I love the glitter insides, of course, but the surprise is great, sort of muted colors on the outside with color and sparkle on the inside. LOVE IT....you have such great style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this!!!! That peacock is amazing!!!! I love things that are boring on the outside but are all amazing on the inside!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i looooove the outside of the book, not boring at all :D

    such a great glittery surprise inside too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic- having just survived my first altered project (the Knick Knack kit!!) I must say I am totally inspired! LOVE the rolled up papers on the outside and the paint work inside is just as awesome. Also- I'm sorry I don't swing by here each post because you are freaking FUNNY- I don't think I've ever been here and not laughed out loud at least twice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maggie I'm pinning this project onto my Altered Genius board- I hope that's ok- it's just too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I really love this little project, the rolled up paper is genius!
    So glad I came across your blog on SITS - now following

    Laura x
    www.sidestreetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE it! So glad I found your blog through SITS. I am going to follow as soon as I post this. I love all kinds of paper arts, and as my 18 year old daughter says, "Glitter just makes everything better."

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S. My daughter and I love to crochet too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails