Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Night Fab Five

Hi everyone and welcome to another Friday Night Fab Five where I list 5 things I love this week! Wait, it's March??? 3 months into 2012 already, that's crazy! Anyhoo, on to the Five!

1. Being Elmo

Image Credit

Being Elmo is a documentary about Kevin Clash (the voice and puppeteer for Elmo) and his rise in the world of puppetry. I found this documentary extremely interesting as I had no idea how early in life Kevin Clash started making his own puppets. At a young age he was already working on shows like "Captain Kangaroo" and even worked on "Labyrinth". Check it out, it's now available to stream on Netflix.

2. Benedict Cumberbatch

Image Credit

Sherlock Holmes, voice of Smaug in The Hobbit, in new Star Trek movie, possible role on Doctor Who (which if it turns out to be true, that along with The Hobbit and Star Trek will officially make him a king among geeks everywhere), best name in the history of names. Isn't he dreamy? *sigh* I just really wanted to show his picture again. If he was in Tiger Beat, I'd buy a locker just to hang his picture in it.

3. Target: Color Changes Everything



I think this commercial is too cute. I love the music and the random bursts of color. It makes me happy. :D

4. New Projects


Last week I mentioned Blythe dolls and I was lucky enough to find one online for a steal so I've already begun her transformation by taking her apart, sanding off her makeup and carving her lips. The best part of this project is that I have no idea what the heck I'm doing (no news there) so this should be interesting...

5. Davy Jones

I haven't talked a lot about The Monkees on my blog although I have used them on a canvas before so you may not know just how much I love them. Long story short, I'm obsessed with The Monkees. My dad saw them in concert when Jimi Hendrix was their opening act, I've personally seen them three times in concert (reunion tours obviously) and I got the chance to meet Micki Dolenz a few years back.

I love the show, I love their movie, "Head", I always tune in when they show Davy Jones' episode of "The Brady Bunch" and I still reach for their music when I'm feeling down because it never fails to put a smile on my face. Needless to say, I am incredibly sadden to hear the news of Davy Jones' passing this week. He was only 66 which, now that I'm in my thirties, feels far too young to be leaving this world.

There are many Davy moments that I love but one of my favorite songs he sang was "Daddy's Song" from the movie, "Head":



And that's it for this week's Friday Night Fab Five! What were your favorites this week?

13 comments:

  1. I've heard about that Being Elmo documentary - it sounds like it's worth seeing. Is it me or is that doll face a little creepy right now? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, she's a bit creepy at the moment. Hopefully I won't make her creepier. :P

      Delete
  2. The Monkees were my gen's boy band. During a faculty meeting one female teacher (of a, ahem, certain age) leaned over and said "Davy Jones died." There was a deep intake of breath and collectively- Oh no, not Davy. For a brief moment we were all teens again, our hearts breaking. This time for a much different reason than our childish dreams of being his girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I NEED THAT ELMO DOCUMENTARY!!!!!!!!!!!! You remember that I am obsessed with ELMO, right?!??!?!?!?!?!!!?!? And sorry than had an ADHD moment until the Davy Jones part (with Elmo still on my mind... sorry Davy...RIP!).... I loved the Monkees too!! My EX-MIL got a kiss from him once!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sad about Davy Jones...he was 3 years younger than me...whoa is that a wake up call to enjoy life every day! love your "5" this week especially "color changes everything"....wish those colorful guys and gals would take a run through my apartment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Maggi! You were the first person I thought of when I heard about Davy Jones. So sorry to hear of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Benedict Cumberbatch in a play once, Eugene Ionesco's "Rhinoceros". It was top notch!
    I love his name too lol

    The puppeteer documentary sounds terrific!
    Awesome fab five!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooooo can not wait for that Blythe doll to be done :-D I'm also Sad about Davy Jones, me and my dad used to watch the tv show!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your Blythe doll and The book about "elmo" looks interesting! Kendall loves Elmo, but not as much as she does Minnie and Bears:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to marry Davey Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Elmo! Blythe dolls scare me...actually all dolls with rolling eyes...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your writing! You are so interesting and fun! :) ~hl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails