Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Collect Dead People

Hi everyone!

I subscribed to People magazine for a while. Instead of throwing the issues away I kept them around because back in the day I loved cutting them up to create collages. One day I had finally had enough of the clutter (which doesn't happen as often as it should) and started tossing them out.

As I was going through them, I would see one and think, "Oh that's from when Bette Davis died, I should keep that one" or "Oh look, Gary Coleman. Better keep that one..." They went back on a shelf and I forgot about them. Down the road, sick of the clutter once again, I went back to them and discovered that I had inadvertently created a "dead People" collection.


So now of course, I HAVE to buy any People cover relating to someone's death. Morbid, yes and I can't explain why I feel the need to keep this stack of death any more than I can explain the need to add to it. Some things may be better left in the subconscious...


I always feel sorry for the celebs that pass on right around the same time other celebs leave this life. Sorry John Ritter and Farrah Fawcett. Johnny Cash and Michael Jackson beat you to the cover...


I'm also not sure why I would have wanted to keep the People issue profiling the death of Jeffrey Dahmer. Again, better left unanalyzed perhaps.


Wow, now that I'm blogging about this, it's super creepy. Seriously, what a weird collection...


Anyhoo, I thought you might get a kick of this. :D Do you collect anything odd or out of the ordinary?

13 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I read and collect DEAD People mags too!!! LOL!!!! I used to have the Princess Di and the 9/11 issues, but they were stolen when my house was robbed.... of course, I guess that means my thief was morbid too......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny. I just got rid of my famous dead people magazine collection...they are dying way too fast and I'm out of space...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's weird. If anything, it keeps the memory of people that affected all of us alive.

    I have lots of unusual collections, but probably #1 on the list is from when I was a kid and obsessed with science. I lived on a ranch, and when animals died (naturally, of course) I would sometimes dissect them. Weirder, I learned how to preserve, so I had a little collection of parts. Probably the most bizarre entry to that menagerie was an ostrich trachea. Wow, I totally sound like a psychopath. I don't have the collection any more. I swear, I just wanted to learn about anatomy! I am totally creeped out by me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me, or does that photo of Jeffrey Dahmer look a lot like a hobo version of Ryan Seacrest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should cut them (the magazines) up and make something fabulous!! I KNOW you have it in you! LOL

    When I go on trips I look up who is buried in cemeteries near by. When I went to NY I planned out a visit to Susan B. Anthony's grave. When I went to Pittsburgh, PA I planned a picnic at a gorgeous cemetery..my boyfriend's mom and brother thought it was strange picnicing there cuz they were on the mini vacation with us but i didn't give a crap..they were in my van and it was heading for Allegheny Cemetery! Here's a link in case I got you interested! ;)


    http://www.alleghenycemetery.com/index.php

    of course I took photos so I need to make some cemetery scrapbook pages for my book! So, I guess I collect photos of dead people's graves?!

    I love your blog! You crack me up!
    How's the work going on your house?
    Have a fun day!
    ~hl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually think this is a great idea. I would like to collect magazines of movie stars in the 50's and older. I love the magazine cover of ELizabeth Taylor. I don't think it's creepy or weir, but rather very interesting. I collect books that interest me or are vintage. my hubby has a huge comic book collection. Glad I found you through SITS. Great blog. I'm excited to see the rest of your posts. :)
    http://findyoursparkle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that this is quite normal for some people. I think it's totally weirdy.

    Just sayin........

    xx
    ps have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right. Best not to analyze that one too much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it's creepy. If we didn't all have somewhat of a fascination with stories of people when they die, there wouldn't be all these magazines written about them. They produce them because they sell. You're not alone.

    I always feel sorry for celebrities who get bumped because someone else dies the same day or next day, too.

    Popped by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not one to talk of morbid... I think it's a fascinating collection myself :) Just give in to your dark side... embrace it and sprinkle a bit of black glitter over it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're amazing :-D I collect many many things......nothing as interesting as dead people magazines though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I try to collect as little as possible. LOL

    i didn't know elizabeth taylor died - perhaps that was a month when i just had a baby LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I collect gargoyles! LOL But I don't think that's too odd. And I have a rather large collection of Nightmare Before Christmas memorabilia. That's it - I'm way too normal. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails