Monday, March 12, 2012

Oh to Be a Child Again!

Hi everyone!

I've got a new canvas project to show you and it all started with these darling painted pins:

I wish I had thought of painting pins like this! They came to me from the talented June Marie and as soon as I saw these sweet girls I was inspired to create a project around them:


I started with this canvas picture I got at a thrift store for 80 cents. I'm telling you: go to thrift stores and raid their picture sections! It's a great way to stock up on canvases and the like to alter later. :D

I then covered it in Gesso:


And Mod Podged a sheet of scrapbook paper on top. I picked this pattern because I thought it complimented the pins nicely:


As soon as I saw June Marie's pins, I thought of this piece of stationary that I've been holding on to for what seems like forever. (It came from one of Gauche Alchemy's ACME Kits.) My thought was to adhere it to the background using beeswax.


Unfortunately, it didn't get as transparent as I wanted it to be so I just peeled it up and cut it, leaving the kitschy top part on my canvas.  I added some embellishments and ta da! A cutesy-poo child canvas, spotlighting these adorable pins from June Marie.

16 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh I love love love this!!! LOVING those pins and loving the little safety pins you added!! And just sent you an email!!! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! OH! OH! That is so cute I want to pinch its little papery cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Maggi - you've totally showcased those cute little clothes pins!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! This is adorable!!!! I just love the sweet colours! So totally fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love those little clothes pins...and the safety pins are perfect too! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute!!
    I actually also liked the original painting on the canvas :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggi, this is too damn cute! I love it! The background paper with the bees wax, the painted pins, the recycling of an old canvas! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely love what you did with the painted pins...I buy my frames at the thrift store...need to start paying more attention to the canvases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is sooo beautiful! those pins are so cute and I love the colours. spring will be here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the colours of this canvas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fabulous!!!! It really does evoke childhood memories and happy places!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! You are awesomely creative, and I'm loving your site. Now I want to go raid some thrift stores for canvases, but I'd end up buying 40 of them and never doing anything to them... Thanks for coming to visit on my SITS day yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, just marked you up to send to all of my friends - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative! This is awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is sooooo darling - love it :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails