Monday, May 7, 2012

Life Is Beautiful Canvas

Hi everyone!

This canvas makes me laugh. After finishing my LE Sketchbook Project, I really wanted to create something but didn't know what and wasn't even sure I was in the mood to make anything. (Especially since everything I thought of making featured a big "F%$& You" on it. Hey, we all deal with grief in different ways. lol)

So I purposely set out to create something that was the exact opposite of what I was feeling. I reached for bright colors (normally my "must have" on any project) and a bright happy fun time title. I'll probably get around to making that deep, dark, morbid piece of something or other but for right now, making something that showed an emotion I wasn't feeling at the time was actually pretty freeing. Go figure. lol


I started with an 11x14 canvas and Mod Podged a sheet of scrapbook paper to it. BTW, I've always used gloss Mod Podge in the past but decided to give matte a whirl and holy crap, it is AWESOME and I'm not using gloss like, ever again. Once you go matte, you never go back!


Anyhoo, after that was done I added some Dylusions Ink Sprays (these are so fantastic) in various colors and decided to play around with multiple styles of Gauche Alchemy's Washi Tape. (Did you know we have washi tape in the store now? At amazing prices???) I really wanted to use this glittery ornament I got on clearance after Christmas so he made a home in the bottom corner there.


Next I decided to use some modeling paste with a circle stencil and didn't feel like that showed up enough so I added some Pearlex powders to it. Once I added the title, "Life is Beautiful", I felt that it and the washi tape was sort of fading into the background so I outlined all of it with a black pen. Done and done!

Life is beautiful?

**BTW, I do recognize the blessings in my life: 2 great kids, a loving husband, etc and so forth. This canvas is just a reflection of what I was feeling at the time so there you go. :)

11 comments:

  1. You are amazing! This is absolutely gorgeous! I loveeeeee the colors and that deer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I didn't even realize the washi was there before...it blends so well! I have to order that mail art kit! I think this is a huge and positive affirmation! For you to be able to create something like this at such a devastating time in your life, is a huge testimony to the beautiful and strong person you are (even if you may not actually "feel" this way right now)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "not" "sure" "why" "I" ""quoted"" "feel"..."I"
    "just" "like" "to" "use" "quotations" "I"
    "guess"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bro and I were talking yesterday about how one should choose to make a conscience decision to be happy...pretty soon you will be. Easier talked about than done, I know! I think after reading your post, I too am thankful for my family, but I'm going to make a dark tree...to heal from some past trauma. Probably a good healing process. Right? Seems scary. The colors in your piece are great! I love the pop of the deer. Great job! HUGS HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty canvas. The matte finish really looks nice! I think the deer is my favorite part: so fun, free and *purple*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're doing OK...I discovered matte finish years ago and I've loved it ever since...softer...not quite the hardness of gloss!

    fantastic project...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. I love how you highlighted the washi tape. And the glittery ornament....that's so you. :)

    P/s: We can dwell on the ugly part of life or celebrate its brighter moments. Grief is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see your stash! Every time you mke things you mention supplies I've never even heard of :-P Your canvas lovely, you should deffo go with what you feel :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors are both whimsical and haunting - like your mood going between moving forward but looking back.
    Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the colors here....love it all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails