Monday, January 20, 2014

Art Journaling and Lace Texture

Hi everyone!

So, Mary Brockway did this awesome tutorial on the Gauche Alchemy blog which showed how to add texture to a project using fabric and lace. As soon as I watched the video, I wanted to try it out and I did! Go me, heh heh. Anyhoo, I was inspired to use this technique on the cover of my Dylusions art journal.

See, as I've been doing pages in this here journal, I've been putting any extra brush paint, wet stamps, etc on the cover, thinking that, down the road, it would end up creating this funky layered look and make an awesome cover. Welllllllll....it *might* have worked out okay if I had kept going but I really wasn't digging it. PLUS, I added gesso to the back and it just made it yuck. Like, it felt too gritty or rough or something so, nope...had to change it. See what I mean:

The Front:


And the Back:


So like I said, I could have kept going and just let it ride but I'm not that patient. So thank goodness for Mary's tutorial! (Plus, it didn't hurt that I have a made stash of Gauche Alchemy lace just waiting to be glued on to something, lol.) So first things first, I Mod Podged the crap out of some lace, covering the front, spine and back of my journal:



Then, I quickly depleted my supply of white acrylic paint (much to my mother's dismay, she liked the multi-colored look, lol), covering all of the lace:



This tutorial was SO easy and the finished look is amazing! I love that it looks sort of antique, and with it painted all one color, it really draws out the texture of the lace pieces. I can imagine doing this technique many different ways using different colors, playing with different sorts of lace, etc.


A few of my own tips:

1. In the video, Mary glues her lace onto fabric, here I was using a journal cover which is a slicker surface. This made my lace move around when I was trying to glue it down. It was a little tricky at first and I used a LOT of Mod Podge BUT I finally changed the brush I was using from sponge to a bristle (duh) brush (which is what Mary used) and it worked a lot better with way less slipping.

2. To glue around and under the elastic band on my journal, I just glued one side then slid it around over to the dry side to glue on the other....uh, side. Same thing when painting.

3. Have LOTS of white paint on hand before you start so you don't run out in the middle of working. lol Maybe it was just me, and you'll use way less paint if you start with lighter colored lace but I used a ton of paint in multiple coats.

Also, bristle brush is best for the paint too, you can turn it sideways and sort of "wiggle it" around to get the paint in the holes and grooves of the lace.


And there it is! I'm not finished with the cover yet, I would like to add some color, maybe some ink mists? But I haven't decided yet, think I'll keep working on the inside pages a little more. :D

Have a great day!!!

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhh this is gorgeous!! I love love love love it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love how this turned out....you have inspired me!!!!! STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Give it a try Jocelyn, it's fun and the end result is beautiful! :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was definitely both, I hope you give it a try, it's a great video from Mary!

      Delete
  4. What a great way to use lace! Don't usually like lace but this is awesome :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tam! It really gives it a great look and effect!

      Delete
  5. Great project Maggi! You make me feel like I could actually do this.I love to try new types of things. I think I even have some flat laces stashed somewhere in my myriad of stuff! Thanks for a great idea for it.

    Blessings, Edie Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can definitely do this, Edie Marie! Mary makes it very easy, watch the video and give it a try! :D

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Just Add Glitter and Stir and for taking the time to comment! I've changed the comments area so I can reply directly, let's get the conversation started! :D

Have a glittery day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails